Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Patriot Day

It's hard to believe twelve whole years have passed since September 11, 2001. Maybe it's because I don't feel twelve years older? Or maybe it's because that day has such a firmly rooted place in my memory? Either way, this afternoon I realized that 9/11/2001 is actually getting farther and farther in the past - and it seems too soon to let it be twelve years in the past. So tonight at dinner we talked about what happened that day. This past summer I read a book of several first hand accounts of what it was like in the actual event. I was so impressed by the spontaneous bravery and courage, not to mention selflessness - of so many, many, people. 



The pirates had all kinds of questions, of course. And their eyes were as big as saucers. (They always get that way when we talk about the planes and the Twin Towers.) But tonight I wanted to emphasize that bravery. We talked about being brave - even when you're scared. How bravery is sometimes doing what is right - even when you know you're in a tight spot. We talked about courage too... and the whole discussion gave me goosebumps. 


I want to raise brave pirates. Courageous pirates. Good pirates - who (in twelve short years) will be good people.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your generation of moms. I look at you, Lauren and the moms in my ward that are y'all's age and I'm in awe at the understanding you all have about what's important to teach your children, your efforts at helping your children become good, righteous disciples. You've got way more insight than my generation of moms at your age ever did, at least the ones I knew here in my neck of the woods. And for this, I am so grateful.

    On a side note, from your previous post I see that the braces are off. Your smile is radiant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V -- Thank you! I don't think you understand how much your vote of confidence means! I have to say Lauren's and I's generation looks at yours with all the same respect... you give us hope that we can do it. (I swear. Sometimes, this whole motherin' thing...) :)

      (And thanks for noticing! Yes. The braces are off! Praise Be.)

      Delete