Thursday, July 26, 2012

one at a time.


Yesterday I woke up late. 
Late, as in the pirates had been laying next to me for quite some time- entertaining themselves with (blessed, blessed) iDevices. Squish has recently taken to a crazy sleeping schedule- something she has never done, since birth- and I'm having a difficult time adjusting. At a little after nine Robs woke me with news of someone at the door. "Don't answer it" I mumbled.
"Just a look?" she asked, and then disappeared. Moments later she came squealing back to tell me it was DavePraise be. 
The pirates opened the door, and regaled him with stories of our adventures from the day before. Apparently he'd called fourteen times... but the pirates (who had been in charge of the iDevices) gave his incoming calls a backseat to things like Easy Bake Oven, Curious George, and Dump Truck Delivery. Dave had come to drop off a set of keys and when the stories came to an end, we sent him on his way. 
The pirates reminded me they were hungry and needed breakfast, so we made smoothies... (It turned out to be the biggest mistake of my day.) They were delicious... but I loaded mine up with fresh carrots. Within an hour, the pirates were playing happily, and I wanted to die. Can someone be allergic to carrots? I'm beginning to wonder, seeing as this is the second time they've left me moaning the blues. (Very odd.)
I told the pirates I was retreating and left them playing peacefully. I kept my room door open and collapsed, swearing to ne'er again eat that cursed vegetable. An hour and a half later they'd worn off, but the pirates were once again hungry. I went downstairs to find:
applesauce, crumbs, and dishes... OH MY.

At that point I gave in to the day. I let it wash over me... like a good rain. I took lunch orders, one pirate at a time. (Peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and honey, and cheddar cheese cubes with applesauce.) I took clean-up one task at a time. (floors, counters, dishes...) And by the time we were done with everything, all the pirates had helped- the beds were made, the chores were done and we were ready to start our day. It didn't matter that it was three o'clock.

At four o'clock Steve called to say he was getting home early. We took off for the canyon to wade in the river with cousins- and completely enjoyed ourselves. We came home. We mowed the lawn. The pirates rode bikes and I even started attacking our weed beds...

...one sticker plant at a time. 
(I'm calling yesterday a win.)

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar reaction to either a garden fresh cucumber or yellow squash. Gives me the shivers just remembering the episode. Either way, I feel your pain. And yes. Yesterday was a double, triple win. I love how even when we feel like the day is falling apart, the little ones are still having a ball. We are tough mamas to please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Hope Mae decides to sleep again :)

    ReplyDelete