Thursday, January 5, 2012

Patience.

We've moved eleven times. 
I've never realized how much of our life is determined 
by our house
until January came.


But the year began, and my head ran straight to impatient... 
I want my family back- 
I want them snugly tucked into the life we make. 

I want toys underfoot, and everything how we like it.

On my run I think of our previous life and our normal day-to-day, 
and my heart moves into my throat...

I'm so ready for normal again.
-----------------------------------------
So as there's no misunderstandings...
I'm grateful for my inlaws.
Very grateful.
They're patient with us...
...and when I think of what they've done- 
my heart pulls that same little stunt.
------------------------------------------

...I'm just ready for normal again.


And then by
...fate?
...luck? 
...Providence? 

 I came across this poem- 
and decided I can find patience
while making our little life.

-----------------------------------------------

Desiderata

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive person, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. 
Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.  But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. There fore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. 
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. 
Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

-Max Ehrmann

3 comments:

  1. so good. that's something I would love to have memorized. thanks for sharing. I don't believe it was luck or fate. Perhaps Providence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, miss Christine, that poem transported me back to my high school years! it was very popular back then, it was even cut as a record and played on the radio...eeww that sounds so prehistoric! i'm sure your in-laws understand your longing for 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i know this feeling! you are pretty patient already! and the good news is, you have so many great memories and fotos already of this phase. ;)

    ReplyDelete