Monday, August 22, 2011

Kindergarten.

This morning Robs ate two banana muffins
and a blueberry shake.


She said goodbye to Erik and Mae.


And then I took photos. Twelve total.
Usually there are more...
but she was so anxious to get to school.

We walked across the street. She wasn't nervous until we actually walked into the school-
when she grabbed my hand and slunk behind my leg. Just a bit.
But then we said hello to her teacher, walked into the room, started looking around...
and the girl took off.

She was in her element:
She hung up her backpack and took her spot on the rug with all the other five year olds
like she'd done it every day of her sweet little life so far.

It was me who hesitated.
I wanted to hover... I wanted to stay just a bit longer... I wanted to make absolute certain she was completely okay, and would never feel sad or lonely...
Not to mention how I wanted to watch her grow up, and get straight A's, and graduate with honors, get the perfect degree, meet the perfect guy, marry him in the temple, and then go for whatever happiness the girl can dream...

Instead I walked out of the room and then turned and waited to catch her eye.
She smiled.
I waved.
And then I walked home.

It was thought provoking.
Life is just the same and entirely different.
All at once.

...and Erik is a chatterbox.

2 comments:

  1. can't type. too busy crying.

    good work, roomie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of life's moments are so bittersweet. So happy you were able to find a way to send her to the school you'd hoped for. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete