Saturday, April 9, 2011

I was raking leaves in our front yard today.

They were up to my chin, and the neighbors were getting restless.
My leafy-awesome yard was giving their sweet little greens.... some crazy ideas.
I figured it was time.


So while Mae took a snooze, The Robs, The Erik and I took
the leaves.

Did I mention it was windy?

About ten minutes later it was just me versus the leaves.

Everything was good... Everything was grand... I was focusing on one square foot of leaves at a time-
...and then my neighbor's lawn care service pulled up.
Their Professional Lawn Care Service...

Magic... Choreography... call it what you want.
All I know is Alanis Morissette popped into my head, singing about traffic jams and such.

I was also stooped in a most vulnerable position,
attempting to bag a pile of uncooperative leaves.
By myself.
On a windy day.
Barefoot.
Uphill.
In the snow.
Ever tried it?

I stood up as they parked the truck.
And then the rest happened so fast.
Someone said something like, "Go take a break, "I've got it."
And then I blinked.
And then the yard was clear of leaves, and I had a fresh limonada in my hand.
(kidding about the limonada, but I would have been okay with it.)

And then I resisted the urge to hug them... (everyone was sweaty)
But I did thank them profoundly. And profusely. And perpetually.
Because in a whopping ten minutes they did what I would have finished next Wednesday.

It was a miracle.

A lawn care miracle.

Robs, Erik and I celebrated afterwards.


In space. With a big box rocket, and tin foil helmets.



(For the record, that was the best embarrassing situation I've ever had. So far.)

6 comments:

  1. Its so convenient to live with gorgeous models. It makes for beautiful pictures. Pretty awesome about the free lawn care too. But I don't believe the part about the snow. Only in your dreams.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nice people. And I like it even more when nice people help nice people (like you).

    On another note, can you please make your children stop growing? Robyn is a little woman now, what happened?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep asking them... nicely, even! I say... "please stay small. ok?"

    ...and then they laugh.

    And grow an inch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sweet! I wish that would have happened to me. I just keep getting schooled by the old ladies who live two houses down and are always out there raking and taking care of everything all day long. Pregnant excuses seem lame when comparing yourself to an aged old lady.
    Your blog is super cute!

    ReplyDelete