Thursday, April 16, 2009

Professional.

Today I had to take Robyn into a dermatologist. She was very nervous, and I don't blame her.
Just last week we took Erik to the doctor and she watched him get three shots.  He cried for five minutes and she cried for ten.  And when you're two you don't forget things like that.

So we talked about her doctor visit.  I told her the doctor was very nice, that there were no shots involved, and that I'd hold her if she got scared.
As an added precaution, she brought along her baby and her Peter Pan book.
A quick fix in case the situation headed South.
We were prepared.


We got there early to fill out paperwork, and ten minutes later it was done. Easy peasey.
Ten minutes later... done.
(Not a whole lot of health history at two years old.)

Then came the nurse. She poked her head into the waiting room... "Robyn?"
Robyn gave her a crusty look- and grew roots through the chair.
You could practically see them twisting their way down to center earth.
Igathered our bags, unrooted Robyn and nudged her into the room.

I sat down. Robyn rooted herself next to me.
I explained to the nurse why we were there.
Thirty seconds later, she was out the door, with the ever-classic parting:

"Doctor will be in in a minute!"

And what a minute it was.

I looked over at Robyn. She was imitating Mt. Rushmore.
Erik bounced happily in my lap.
I reminded her that the doctor was very nice. She was going to be just fine.

Then I heard a splash.


I looked down and Erik had thrown up.
On my pants... In my shoe... Between my toes... all over the floor.
As far as vomit goes, it was awesome.
I put Erik on the floor so I could get the wipes. I turned back around and Erik was happily patting the puke.
Gross.
I moved him away, and he started playing with the air vent. The very dirty, hadn't been cleaned in years.. air vent.

I chose my battle.
I started with my jeans...

Twenty seconds later: in walks the doc.

And not just any Doc.
Think George Clooney and then make him significantly younger.
He was there.
In the room.
With us.
And then three things happened at once:

1. I said "Hello" and mentioned something vague about watching his step.
2. Dr. Clooney, M.D. said "Nurse, get her some paper towels."
3. Robyn started screaming.

Three minutes later we had the vomit under control. (Robyn was still screaming.) Dr. Clooney took a seat next to Erik, who was happily playing with the dust mites. Dr. Clooney patted Erik on the head. ...Erik looked up.
And started screaming.

So, as a refresher... our little room contained:
Two kids, screaming.
One George Clooney, M.D.
One Nurse.
One pantleg covered in puke.
One memory I will never forget.

To make a quick story short...
Robyn never settled down.
Erik settled down a bit.

I laughed my guts out the whole way home.

We're going to the doctor again on Friday when Steve can stay at home with Erik.

9 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. It is always so entertaining!! I love the cute pics that you get too. I was going to ask you, I'm looking into getting a camera. What kind do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Canon Rebel XTi...and I love it. Check out B&H Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a doctor that looks like George Clooney!!! Not fair :) We had a very handsome dr in the hospital when Zander was sick last year and I always made sure I was showered and at least had makeup on when they would come by for rounds. haha so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you can laugh about it! That was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are moments that make me love motherhood. At the moment, you want to go crazy but all you can do is laugh. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You totally have to laugh at stuff like that! (Not in the moment, of course...) I hope things go MUCH better on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the funniest stories and I love to read them. Anyone can with kids can relate. I remember one trip to to Doc.... I think we waited for like... and hour in the room before he came. (it wasn't really, but it seemed like it). I had a four boys with me. MISTAKE! I can't remember why we were there, but Jed and Kyle fought the whole time (typical) and Jake and Colby opened every drawer at least a million times and then would slam them shut. Then they would open the door and slam it shut. I tried to stop them several times, but finally gave up. I figured the more noise they made, the faster the Doc would get there. Hee hee. My resolve... never take more than two kids to the doc at a time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I just laughed the whole time I read that story. HILARIOUS! Dr. visits seem to be fairly similar in our house. You take the best pictures. What type of photoshop do you use? Adobe? So what are you guys doing now in Utah? I don't think we will ever stop moving as well. I guess that is the life right now when you are students almost done. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete